Wednesday, September 5, 2012

sail day!



Almost time to go sailing! The second I'm off the reference desk, I'll book it to the car and rush to ...

... sit on my arse in rush-hour traffic. Yay!

Tomorrow night will be the same thing, except we'll be checking out a Sunfish!  Hubby is hesitant to buy yet, because we aren't sure how we're going to store the trailer, since it will be wider than the sliding doors open. But we should be able to tilt it sideways through the doorway. Storing the boat isn't a problem, just that trailer.

Then there is the fact we need to install a hitch on my car, and U-Haul charges extra if we want it done before the 13th, so even if we decided to get the boat tomorrow after looking at it, the seller will either need to deliver it to us, or we will have to see if the owner will let us put a deposit on the boat and hold it until we can get a hitch put on. But it's the only boat meeting our specs within a decent drive (everyone else is 3-5 hours away).

So, I've been scouring the web and sailboat books and making a boat inspection list for when we check this out (or later boats, if this one turns out to be a no go). I already know anything in our age range will likely need rudder and daggerboard refinishing, which is something we can definitely work with and would make a nice winter project (along with waxing and cleaning). I'm trying not to get my hopes up, since Captain Mike has suddenly gone boat cautious (he hasn't been doing all the legwork like I have).

I'm just hoping tonight goes better than last week! No dock!

No comments:

Post a Comment