Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It's spring! Do you remember your knots?

The answer to that question is ... uh ... maybe?

Clearly, we are not sailing experts and have not fully utilized the winter as we had planned. Our winter was supposed to include a full inspection, clean up, and repair of parts, install inspection ports, and fix leaks.

What we have done so far:

  • Bought a sail
  • Cut some holes in the boats
  • Washed the boats
  • Nearly-completed a dolly
We derigged everything for winter storage, though only cleaned some of the equipment (lines, wiped down the mast and spars, cleaned the boats). This means we need to relearn our knots both for the rigging and for general purposes (bowlines, hitches, stoppers, etc.)

So, a quick Google search brought Animated Knot Tutorials. I'm excited! I'll grab line this week and start practicing, as well as doing inventory and, oh yes, getting the sails back on!

4 comments:

  1. very good tip to practice your knots. I successfully used a bowline knot a few days ago to tie some rope to my truck and pull my brother-in-law's van out of the mud. the knot was very easy to undo afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder. I could do with some practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an unruly crew member. How do you tie a hangman's noose again?

    ReplyDelete