Friday, August 31, 2012

newbie ahoy!

It's been a few days since our last time on the water, when we briefly "sailed" and then learned a lesson about the limits of novices. We later found out that we launched at precisely the wrong time, when the wind was gusting above 20 mph.

Racers were about to head out from the dock, so I gave them a wide berth when I started off from the beach. Mike yelled "Wait for me!" so I let out the sail. The boat kept traveling, so I purposely put myself into irons, because I didn't want to hear him gripe that I didn't listen to him.

Bad move.

Another dock sat leeward, and right as I tried to get out of irons, a big gust came, caught the sail just right, and we were both sailing backward for the dock. Rudder and mainsheet adjustments didn't seem to have any affect, so at the last second we put our legs out to buffer the collision with the dock. Now we had our sails up against the high rails (water level is several feel lower than normal due to the drought) with full on gusts.

We tried getting the bow pointed around to travel on a reach, even if it was just to the beach to start over/get room to reposition, but if we managed to get around between gusts, we'd just sail backwards again. We had wind, current, and suction from the deep dock. Mike managed to get away but seemed to have problems getting back on track. Our club is situated in a cove-like area prone to holes, though I don't think we had holes that day.

An old man fishing on the dock tried to provide some help when my escape attempt failed, but then he became a complication. I broke free, caught the wind right, and was going to sail past the dock and get into the steadier wind area - and the man had a tight hold on my mainsheet.

"Please let go, thank you!" I yelled.

He just smiled and kept walking alongside me, holding sheet. I repeatedly screamed at him to let go. He couldn't hear and figured he was helping.  When he finally let go, it was right over a dock cleat.

It caught, whipped the bow around, and I lost my momentum and my wind as it shifted again. When I got the sheet freed, he then grabbed the sail ... and in doing so swung the boat around the end of the dock and behind it.

I wanted to cry. Now I was under tree cover, behind a dock, and trying to find footing on a moss-covered, steep boat ramp to try and get the boat turned around. Another club member came to my rescue, as I was paralyzed by trying to figure out how to save the boat without making the situation even worse and damaging it. There wasn't a way to walk the boat all the back to the beach and relaunch, as I was on the steep shoreline broken by docks, fence, and rock.

The other member helped me lower the sail and we swam the boat out (not an easy feat) of the enclosed dock and tried to use another dock further down for some leverage to push out away from the houses and trees. We rigged it up, and she told me to head back to the club and flag down Mike, who had managed to get turned toward the beach.

When I looked back, she was sailing backwards like I had been, but then a much bigger, stronger guy came out onto another dock and gave her a big push. She found the wind right and took off.

Not our best day. Not my best day. Sometimes I feel like the more I sail and the more technical stuff I know, the worse I get. I knew even as I was going into irons that I should have tacked and taken a reach out into the open water. In the first lesson, I was more apt to play and experiment with the boat, and if something was obviously going wrong, I'd play until it went right. Once we started going technical, things just went more awry and I have a harder time getting out of trouble.

On the beach, Mike was in the water struggling with his daggerboard, which wouldn't pop out. I realized then that he the troubled one I had in a previous lesson. The bottom lip of the bracket curled out, so the daggerboard doesn't pop down all the way and rides up while in the water. Mike, apparently, had manned it down earlier, and now it would only come up a few inches before getting stuck.

So. The club newbies had trapped themselves against a dock and then were dismantling a boat in the water, because we couldn't beach it. Awesome. Mike scoured the sheds and garage for tools to help. We tried wiggling the board out, but finally had to quasi-beach the boat on its side, me bracing it (it weighs more than me). But lo and behold, it finally gave, with the bracket barely hanging on. Mike, getting handier since we've married, went into the garage and torqued the bracket straight, screw it back on, and we were good to go.

Since that Sunfish was already down, we packed everything up, washed it down, and put it away, then took my SF out on the water for our first attempt at two-person sailing. It took some scrambling tacks before we figured out a system, and the wind was better for us, but we only got a few minutes of fun in before the sun dropped too low and we had to head in.

3 comments:

  1. what a rough day! reminds me of this sailing trip I had a couple years back with my son. flipped the boat multiple times, but he didn't seem to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch (on your post) - but, hey, sounds like there was plenty of fun happening out there! Really enjoy your blog, btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! your blog is off to a great start as well. I've added you to my blogroll - thanks for including my blog in yours. cheers.

      Delete